- Year 9 Curriculum
Year 9 Curriculum - Drama
The Year 9 Drama course is an exciting foundation year in preparation for either the full GCSE Drama course or vocational Performing Arts course in Years 10 and 11. It will develop the skills that the student has acquired when working with script and devised methods, to create more detailed and creative performance work, as well as a more able and confident performer. Through their studies the student will explore a full-length play, The 39 Steps, create original theatre on the theme of ‘Missing’ using naturalistic and non-naturalistic acting styles and acquire an ever increasing appreciation of the demands of performing in front of an audience. Students should expect to participate in a range of exciting and dynamic performance pieces, as an individual, as part of a small group and as a whole class. Students will also gain a critical appreciation of theatrical performances through watching live or digital work.
In this course students will develop the following skills:
- Knowledge and understanding of performance styles, themes, and skills.
- Developing original performance work through scripted and devised methods.
- Reflecting on your own work and the work of others.
- Writing about performance work.
- Social and communication skills.
Students will be assessed on their contribution to:
- Develop and perform a role as part of a group and as an individual. This is for both script work and devised work.
- Contribute to the rehearsal process.
- Reflect orally and in writing on performance work with an appreciation of the skills used.
- Use the vocabulary of the subject effectively.
- Be able to communicate in writing how acting skills are used to perform set scripts.
Enquiries to: Mr J Drake – Subject Leader of Drama & Dance